Spicy Chocolate Morsels
Makes 2 dozen Prep Time: 20 mins Chill Time: 45 mins
1 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground Pepper, white or black
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon. salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup baking sugar
6 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1) Mix dry ingredients together with whisk: flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, cayenne, pepper. Mix until evenly colored and lumps are smoothed out
2) Combine the brown and white sugar together until well mixed in a separate bowl.
3) Cream butter and sugars together. Add egg. Add vanilla extract
4) Add dry ingredients to bowl. Mix until dough is evenly colored.
5) Roll dough into a cylinder the diameter of a rolling pin. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes. 4) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6) Lay Silpat on baking sheet. Slice cookies into 1/4 inch thick rounds.
7) Place on baking sheet and cook for about 12-14 minutes.
1) You can freeze the dough until ready to use. Put in refrigerator for about an hour to thaw before cutting.
1) Add 1/4 C. chocolate nibs.
2) Substitute 1 t. mint extract for cayenne, pepper, vanilla and cinnamon. Add ground candy canes as a last step when mixing.